Fresno Wrongful Death Lawyer
Wrongful death lawsuits are a special type of legal claim family members can bring after the tragic death of a loved one. These are very complicated lawsuits, and grieving family members will benefit from our law firm’s assistance.
Contact Henrietta Ezeoke Law Firm today if the unthinkable happened and you lost a spouse, child, or parent in a tragic accident or crime. Our Fresno wrongful death lawyer can answer your questions, provide moral support, and explain your legal rights.
Spotlight on Wrongful Death Claims
In the typical personal injury case, an injured victim sues the person or business that caused their injuries. With a wrongful death claim, however, surviving family members bring their own claim for the death of a loved one.
Our firm has initiated wrongful death cases for people who lost a spouse, child, or parent due to:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Animal attacks
- Premises liability claims
- Negligent security claims
- Violent attacks
What is the point of this type of lawsuit? Primarily, it seeks to compensate family members for the losses they have suffered. This isn’t a criminal action. Instead, it is a civil claim seeking monetary damages for losses like:
- Lost financial support. Your loved one might have supported you financially. This is most clear with spouses or minor children supported by an adult parent. After the tragic death, you lose out on their income. The defendant who caused the death should compensate you and your family for this lost income.
- Lost services. Many people provide critical services to their families. A mother might provide child care, food preparation, transportation, laundry, and cleaning. Families can seek compensation for the market value of these lost services.
- Lost inheritance. You can seek in compensation what you would have reasonably inherited had the loved one lived a full life.
- Loss of companionship and society. Family members deserve a reasonable amount for the loss of love and emotional support provided by the deceased. A child, for example, has lost out on the protection and mentorship when their parent dies.
- Grief and mental anguish. This is another type of non-economic loss. Our clients seek a fair amount of money for their emotional distress suffered.
In some cases, we might even seek punitive damages for deaths resulting from heinous acts, like criminal violence.
Although you are grieving, you need to contact an attorney quickly. If hired, we can immediately gather critical evidence of the fatal incident, such as witness testimony or video footage. For example, if a loved one died in a store after a fall, there should be closed-circuit TV footage, which we must request not be recorded over or erased. There are also legal deadlines to meet with this type of claim.
Experience You Can Trust
Our Fresno wrongful death lawyer is eager to hear from anyone who needs legal assistance during this dark time. Your loved one has passed, but you can still obtain needed compensation to help your family move forward. Call our firm today to schedule a consultation with our attorney.