Fresno Slip and Fall Lawyer
Falling backwards is a terrifying experience. Unable to brace yourself for impact, you might suffer serious injuries and could even be knocked unconscious. Slip and fall accidents are a great danger in Fresno because too many property owners refuse to maintain safe premises. They let their homes and businesses fall into disrepair—and innocent people get hurt as a result.
Henrietta Ezeoke Law Firm can hold these property owners responsible for your injuries if you call us today. Our Fresno slip and fall lawyer is available to meet for a consultation.
Slip and Fall Injuries
Our clients usually slip on some hazard on the ground which should not be there. Some property owners actively create hazards, whereas others arise naturally. For example, you might slip on:
- Mopped floors
- Wet leaves
- Loose rugs or carpets
- Cracked tiles
- Poorly designed stairs or steps
Once you lose balance, you can injure yourself trying to stay upright or when you fall. There is a high risk of a concussion or other head injury, especially when you fall backwards.
Serious injuries include:
- Whiplash—you might associate this injury with car accidents, but many slip and fall victims also suffer neck pain caused by whiplash.
- Concussion—striking your head can jiggle the brain inside your skull and stretch or tear connective nerves. Serious complications include the loss of memory and physical problems, like inability to stand or talk.
- Back injuries—landing on your back can displace discs, damage nerves, and possibly lead to spinal cord injury. Back injuries cause disabling pain and numbness, in addition to possible immobility.
- Broken bones—you can fracture your ribs, vertebrae, arms, or legs in a fall, especially if you fall downstairs.
A property owner should take care to address hazards. The owner’s duties will depend on the circumstances. For example, a store should have staff regularly walk down the aisles to find any hazards, like trash or debris that someone could slip on. If a customer reports spilled liquids in Aisle 7, the store should promptly clean it up. They can’t shirk this responsibility.
Some hazards are unavoidable. Still, a property owner needs to anticipate and reduce the odds of an accident. For example, the ice machine at a restaurant might always spit out too much ice, some of which falls to the floor. A careful owner should install a carpet to provide extra traction.
Were You Injured in a Slip and Fall? Call Us Today
Negligent property owners must pay compensation to slip and fall victims. This is only fair. After all, the owner controls the property, not a visitor who slips due to an unforeseen hazard. We expect people to take reasonable precautions to protect anyone they invite onto their property. When they refuse to, then the law requires they make accident victims whole.
Call Henrietta Ezeoke Law Firm to talk about your accident. Our Fresno slip and fall lawyer will help you evaluate your options, which include filing a lawsuit against the property owner for negligence.