Houston Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect Lawyer
Nursing homes provide 24-hour skilled nursing care to vulnerable adults, especially the elderly. Because we expect the highest level of service, many family members are understandably outraged to discover that a nursing home has neglected a resident or that a staff member has abused someone under their care.
At Henrietta Ezeoke Law Firm, our legal team has met with countless family members to discuss shocking evidence of substandard care. If you suspect something is wrong, speak up. Many nursing home patients are struggling with malnutrition, dehydration, bedsores, and sexual abuse—but they don’t know how to tell anyone. Please contact our law firm to begin talking about your legal options with a Houston nursing home abuse & neglect lawyer.
Nursing Home Residents Deserve Respect
Both Texas and the federal government regulate nursing homes. Unfortunately, some homes with terrible safety histories continue to accept new patients, and regulators never manage to shut their doors. These homes are never forced to clean up their act or employ sensible practices to provide quality care.
Our Houston nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer has received panicked phone calls from residents or family members suspicious of:
- Physical abuse, like punching, pinching, slapping, or suffocating with a pillow.
- Sexual abuse, such as sexual assault and harassment.
- Emotional abuse, including insults, threats, or social isolation.
- Chemical abuse, which occurs when staff use psychoactive chemicals to restrain a patient who does not need them.
- Financial abuse, which often involves identity theft or stealing from a resident.
Nursing home neglect is also a widespread problem. Unlike abuse, neglect is unintentional, but the effects are just as serious. Patients can fail to receive food, medication, or water. Many nursing homes neglect residents because of:
- Understaffing—the home does not have enough orderlies or nurses on duty to give adequate attention to all residents.
- Drug or substance abuse—strung out staff cannot function at work.
- Poor supervision—the nursing home does not ensure that all patients receive attention by holding staff accountable, and management might ignore complaints.
- Negligent hiring—a nursing home does not perform necessary background or criminal checks to avoid hiring dangerous or careless employees.
Nursing home residents suffer declining health, weight loss, and physical injuries. For example, neglected patients could wander away from the grounds and hurt themselves when they fall. Or a violent resident could attack another nursing home patient due to understaffing.
An experienced nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer in Houston can immediately investigate the situation to determine what is happening. We can report substandard homes to the state and the police. And we can seek to have your loved one transferred to a new nursing home, if necessary, to protect their health.
Seek Accountability by Contacting Us
Many nursing homes immediately deny all responsibility, and they make it difficult to collect evidence or interview staff members to find out what is happening. Please contact Henrietta Ezeoke Law Firm to discuss your legal options with a Houston nursing home abuse & neglect lawyer. We have filed many lawsuits and legal claims against nursing homes, and we can seek compensation for pain, emotional distress, lost income, and increased medical expenses.